Popular Posts

Monday, December 21, 2009

A DIFFERENT CHRISTMAS MESSAGE!

A DIFFERENT CHRISTMAS MESSAGE

James R. Fisher, Jr., Ph.D.
© December 21, 2009

FOR YOUR INFORMATION


Sitting here at my computer, thinking of all my readers, and the many missives I've sent their way, knowing many of you personally but many more only through this medium, I am given to reflect a little on the reality of life, living, and the tenuous nature of it all.

It is the eternal conundrum of endings and beginnings that confounds us with the passing of time. It is the reason Christmas is a time of joy but also of sorrow, as it is so easy to forget that joy and sorrow are different aspects of the same thing, as are endings and beginnings.

* * *

The "Bill" of which this note was coined is a giant of a man, physically, intellectually, and philosophically. He holds more than 100 patents reminiscent of Charles Proteus Steinmetz, the great mathematician, and has written three books that I doubt many of you have heard of much less read, but books nonetheless which were life changing experiences for me.

He has been a friend for moving on to two decades since we exchanged books in 1991. Ironies of ironies, I visited him in 1991 at his consultancy office high in the Twin Towers of New York City, and then at his home in Bayside, New York, where he invited a potpourri of very interesting people in the engineering, business and academic professions.

The book I exchanged with him was my WORK WITHOUT MANAGERS for his FRIENDS IN HIGH PLACES, both diatribes on corpocracy.

* * *

As often is my wont, I attack a subject from offstage, and this is no exception. I write to Bill of my moral dilemma from the perspective of a profile of my sister, Pat. It is a Christmas and New Year reflection of one getting long in the tooth.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to each and every one of you, and may you always be well.

* * *

THE MISSIVE TO MY FRIEND, BILL:


Bill,

This past year has been a strange one, but what year isn't?

As my pragmatic sister says, "You're ahead of the game, Jimmy, if you outlive the year."

She and I were born on the same day two years apart, still working, still building her war chest and still pragmatic as ever.

She has never worried a minute of her life about the things I take so seriously, was an indifferent student in school, but loved to work since a little girl, and has more practical gumption than I'll ever have, doesn't read my stuff -- too long -- but doesn't criticize me for writing it.

She has always had her two feet planted firmly on the ground, never has given one thought to soaring, goes to bed early, rises equally early, uses a cell phone, but seldom watches television or reads a book.

She would be as happy on the Irish bog as was her grandmother, whom she resembles, and I'm telling you this, why?

I'm wondering now if such people as she have never needed course corrections in the history of society because they knew the way without knowing it.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and Carrie,

And may you always be well,

Sire

PS. Betty sends her love, too.

PSS The other two books of my friend are THE NEW PLAGUE, and HAVE FUN AT WORK.

1 comment:

  1. This has to be one of the more intellectual holiday blog entries I have read. I scrolled through some of your archives and I like the way that you think things through.

    Thanks for sharing

    Kindest regards,
    Tom Bailey

    ReplyDelete