Popular Posts

Thursday, February 17, 2011

"I MISS YOUR BLOG!"

"MISS YOUR BLOG!"

James R. Fisher, Jr., Ph.D.
© February 17, 2011

A READER WRITES:

Dear Jim,

I miss your blog.

L

*     *     *

DR. FISHER RESPONDS:

Dear L,

Thank you for your interest.  You deserve an explanation.

On February 4, 2011, a hit-and-run driver on 66th street in Pinellas Park (Florida) cut down my daughter, Jeannie.  The driver first hit my daughter at a high rate of speed, threw her into the air, and then ran over her, seeing what he or she had done, making a U-turn (caught on tape) and going the opposite direction.  Jeannie bled to death on the street. 

This senseless act has left me numb barely able to cope, confused at the insensitivity of the act, and unconscionable behavior of one individual.

Since I cannot comprehend the brutality of this act, much less no longer see the cheerful smile and experience the free spirit of my daughter, my ability to think and compose missives has been seriously impaired.

All of my missives rise out of a sense of things I observe, have experienced, and fit into the lexicon of personal archives.  I am never out to celebrate one faction at the expense of another, or to imply that I have special knowledge, but rather to show how I, one individual, see things. 

My missives are meant to stimulate thought and reflection, to generate assessment and calculation of where we are versus where we claim to be and why we are in this neighborhood of behavior.

We congratulate ourselves repeatedly on the progress we have made, of the wonders of the electronic age, but we fail to examine the calculus of regression that has accompanied this progress.  Many who call themselves human beings are more callous and primitive than wildest beast of the jungle.

Be always well,

Jim

*     *     *

No comments:

Post a Comment