Popular Posts

Saturday, September 13, 2014

THE WORLD IN DISORDER -- CONTINUING THE EXCHANGE

THE WORLD IN DISCORDER-CONTINUING THE EXCHANGE

James R. Fisher, Jr.,
© September 13, 2014


REFERENCE:

A number of exchanges have been between Klaus and me.  Previously, I mentioned some of the “sins of the West,” which were tellingly illustrated in Arundhati Roy’s “Capitalism: A Ghost Story” (2014), a slender volume that deals with the industrial West’s exploitation of a village in India. 

There have been many instances of Western industrial malfeasance in India in the last half century, duly reported, but Roy concentrates here on rivers being poisoned and polluted, wells laying barren, mudslides common occurrences of clear-cut forests with thousands of farmer escaping debt through suicide. 

Roy points out that hundreds of millions earn two dollars a day in a population of 1.2 billion where 100 of the richest people own assets of one-fourth of India’s gross domestic product, making capitalism, a ghost story.

As other writers point out, correctly, we have similar if not as pronounced disparities in the United States and other parts of the world.   

CAVEAT:

I enjoy the comments of Klaus and all other responders.  These comments are well thought out, stimulating and have merit.  I only publish a few of them.

You will see we don't always agree, but that is not the point.  People of different perspectives and differing views help me better understand issues from a different perspective, which is what is often missing today.  My purpose in these missives has never been consensus much less agreement, but to stimulate thought. 



A READER WRITES:

Jim,

From what I read the people of South Africa are not much better off, but the current president has built himself a beautiful house for his wives.  In most of the other African countries corruption is very prevalent.  Then I look at Haiti.  They fought and won their freedom I think in the 17 hundreds, and they have gone downhill ever since.  The Spanish conquered much of South America, but the Inca, Mayans, and Aztecs used religion to control the population and were no better morally than their

Spanish conquers.  Many people want to portray N. and S. America as a paradise before the white man showed up.  They also want to blame all the problems in Africa on the white man.  Black males in this country who produce children and accept no responsibility along with the co-operating females who are satisfied living on the dole blame white people.  The events in Ferguson brought this out.  The majority who live there are black.  Many of them are felons and can’t vote, but the ones who can don’t.  But all their problems are caused by whites.  I had black students who worked hard and others who did not. There are people at every economic level that are corrupt.


I knew nothing of Islam before 9/11.  After, I read up on its history.  They spread Islam by violence.  You had the choice to convert, die or pay a special tax and be a second class citizens.  They also were interested in science until 1200 AD when the religious side of the culture put a stop to thinking in these areas. The desire on the part of politicians and others to call Islam a religion of peace is like calling Hitler a nice but misunderstood guy. Most of the world has lived under authoritarian rule for the last ten thousand years.  That is why all the gods that have been invented are authoritarian.  The idea of democracy arose with the Magna Carta.  It evolved in England and continued here in the US.  When I look around the world and see how people are treated in other cultures, I think we are lucky to be living here.  The best proof of that is that more people want to come here than want to leave.  THE WEST IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THE PROBLEMS OF THE WORLD. But that you say it may account for your larger readership abroad.  As usual people want to blame others for their failure, and they like to hear someone from the US who agrees with this misguided interpretation of history.


Klaus

DR. FISHER RESPONDS:

Klaus,

From my perspective, I appreciate what you are saying but find it selective with a Western bias.  Everything you say, and I am not questioning its accuracy, could be just as passionately argued from the perspective of nonwhites or non-Europeans. 


We call Greece the cradle of Western civilization for its democracy and admirable scholarship, much of which was imitated by the Romans minus the democracy, yet Greece had slaves, and most Greeks of that Golden Period never knew freedom or equality.

Mohamed was a warrior but so were many emperors and monarchs of the West.  Yes, Islam has had the brutality of caliphates of the religious extreme, but so has Catholicism.  The Moors came out of Africa and gave Spain culture and science, and the Spanish Inquisition came into play with Moors or Jews converting to Christianity or going on the rack or worse. 

Civilizations of North and South America, Africa and the Middle East were all creatures of power and control, as you point out correctly about religion with terrible practices, practices that kept them in power and were abominable from a Western perspective.

India and surrounding states have had little peace over many millenniums, and were left in the lurch pretty much when British rule ended.  Poverty is not pretty wherever it exists, and when tens of millions of people have known nothing else, it is close to a nightmare. 

In my lifetime, I have seen microcosms of poverty being sustained in places around the world by design with a combination of cruelty and greed, and then justify exploitation by drawing attentions to the indolence of the people or the toxic character of their religions.    

Man has survived despite our selective biases, but sometimes only barely. 

When the Dark Middle Ages came into being in the second millennium with the defeat of Rome, for the next 500 years, were it not for the monks copying learning acquired to that point, God knows where man would be today.  The High Middle Ages followed with the Renaissance which we have been feeding off of ever since, as you know, you being an artist and teacher of that discipline.

It is speculation, to be sure, but I have often wondered where North America, South America and Africa would be were Europeans in their narcissistic altruism never to have invaded their sanctuaries, destroyed their cultures, imposed their cultures and biases, and then subjugated these respective peoples to Europe's will.

Today, I look back on my privileged life where I was able to excel in athletics without having to compete against Negroes because there were few Negroes in my community, and they were essentially not invited to play or compete with me for positions in sport. 

Today, African Americans excel in sport, and were they to have had that opportunity in my day in my community I would have had a very different life because I would have rode the bench or not even made the squad. 

Why do blacks so excel in sport?  Some would say because natural athleticism, which cannot be denied.  But the bigger reason, in my view, is because they have been given the opportunity. 

Likewise, there were very few Jews in my community, even less Jews than Negroes.  The few Jews that I knew in high school and college were not athletic, not big and powerful, no competition for me in sport, but great competition for me in the classroom.  I was a grind as a college student, going to the library every day during Christmas vacation to get a running start on the next semester.  One time my mother asked me, "Do you find any of your friends at the library?  I answered, "Only my Jewish friends." 

Today, most authors I read are Jews as they paid attention in school.  Are Jews innately brighter than gentiles?  No.  Are African Americans more talented athletes than whites?  I don't actually think so.

Albert Schweitzer was disgusted with Europe and went to Africa to set up a hospital and bring European culture to Africa.  I've asked the question: why did he not turn that altruism on his own culture that so disgust him?

We have just completed the twentieth century, so called "the American century," and the bloodiest century in terms of the actual human carnage in the history of man.  We Americans take pride in winning WWII and having a role in WWI, but we don't seem to have any regret that we are the only nation on earth to devastate civilian populations with the atomic bomb at Hiroshima and Nagasaki,

Nor do we shed tears for British leveling of Dresden in WWII that also was not a military target and the war was all but won. 

My point is that man, Western man, Middle Eastern man, Eastern man is irrational, vengeful, brutal and throughout history has shown a capacity for genocide. 

You mention South Africa.  I experienced South Africa.  I saw what apartheid did to people.  I saw fear in behavior, and it was not pretty.  I saw the arrogance and self-indulgence of the colonial Brit's, and the obdurate denial of the Afrikaners when it came to the Bantu. 

Nelson Mandela was only a few years in prison when I was there, but it was a name I learned from my Bantu servants.  Like our George Washington, he had balance if not brilliance, and did the right thing when he came to power.  America would be a very different nation without Washington, and sad to say, Mandela's perspective has not been able to overcome apartheid in South Africa.

The Brit's have essentially left or remained on the sidelines, while the Afrikaners are trying to make swift of what they knew was inevitable.  I had high regard for Afrikaners when I was there, which is reflected in my novel, A GREEN ISLAND IN A BLACK SEA, and that has not diminished in the new era.

As for the current South African president, he was duly elected like we duly elect our do nothing presidents over the past half century, and like South Africans we all suffer for our poor voting preferences. 

You cannot change humanity, but you can come to understand it if you aren't selective of who is good and who is bad, who is right and who is wrong, what religions are humanitarian and what religions are not.  The problem, and I'm revising an ancient tome i.e., my "Search for the Real Parents of My Soul") to show that, what they all hold in common is that they all reflect their cultural DNA.

Jim  






  

No comments:

Post a Comment