Popular Posts

Friday, January 06, 2017

The Peripatetic Philosopher responds to the question:



WHY IS RELIGION NECESSARY?

AN EXCHANGE




JAMES R. FISHER, JR., Ph.D.
© January 6, 2017


A READER WRITES:

Regarding this subject, Loren Eiseley writes in “The Unexpected Universe” that man is a “… creature who persists in drawing sharp, definitive lines across the indeterminate face of nature.”  

That is what man has done with religion as well as science.  The Greeks created gods that behaved like humans with super power.  The Jews, Christians and Muslims follow a god who is essentially a dictator who committed acts that if they were committed by a human would be found abominable. 

From the little knowledge I have about various religions, Buddhism is the only religion without gods and puts the responsibility of existence on humans.  I have always felt if religion makes someone happy that is great as long as a person does not try to force others to believe as they do.  Even the Buddha was like that. 

As soon as he thought he had found the answer, he tried to convert others, and the power structure supposedly helped him because it kept the people they controlled from rebelling. I do not know why we exist, and I doubt anyone else does either.  If they claim they know, then they are making it up.  Something that has been done multiple times.

By the way, I think you would like reading some of Loren Eiseley.  People compare his writing to Thoreau, but I think he is a better writer and much more interesting.

DR. FISHER RESPONDS:

This is an excellent and enlightening summary of a relevant point of view.  

I agree.  I think I would enjoy Loren Eiseley's "The Unexpected Universe."  

In my missive (Why is Religion Necessary?), I depart from religion to include science and mathematics for reason.

Curiously, science and mathematics have evolved in a strange and somewhat unsettling way.  The connotations of "absolutes" more generally associated with religion have come to tarnish these disciplines if obliquely.  

Science and mathematics appear to lack the openness they once enjoyed and my wonder is it because they have become revered like a religion.   

Two years ago, I drove up to the University of Florida to attend a lecture in inorganic chemistry in which my granddaughter was a student. This introductory course in the chemistry curriculum had taken on the rarified air of a Roman Catholic Pontifical encyclical, meaning it was dogmatic and incomprehensible. 

I felt for the students who were disengaged (many on their iPhones) and seemingly mystified by the obtuse nature of the chemistry presentation.  I talked briefly with the professor, who showed little interest in the plight of the students or their confusion, but was more interested in complaining about "his huge teaching load."

When I was myself a chem student, I remember with fondness the ability of my professors to present the complex material in a format that was like reading music and sensing the rhythm of notes as if a symphony.  I would come away marveling at the conceptual clarity of it all.  

Stated another way, it made sense to me and I could build on that experience in future chemistry courses.  In contrast, my granddaughter's chemistry lecture had the taste of bitter medicine.  Not fun!

Obviously, science has changed, indeed, it has changed a lot given the advancements in knowledge.  But are professors too lazy, or too wrapped up in their own research to make -- in this case -- chemistry interesting?

We are perhaps in our fifth or sixth or is it our seventh "Scientific Revolution"?  This makes it difficult (perhaps) to develop palatable teaching models.  But for a young mind, it is important to see the connection between the information presented and its ultimate usefulness.

This brings me back to the religion-science connection.  Religions take the high ground as if they have the answers in "absolute" terms to everything.  It gets a bit chary when science follows that lead.  

I am now reading on Quantum Mechanics (QM) and some of the problems it is encountering having been treated with religious zeal for decades.  Einstein was heavily criticized, after setting the foundation for Q.M., for backing away from a blanket endorsement of the new approach to physics.  

It will be quite healthy if Q.M. doesn't become as defensive as religions and remains open to new interpretations with the possibility of scuttling major portions of it.  The same applies to "string theory," another controversial theoretical construct.

Were religions, all religions, open to reinterpretation and reassessment perhaps religious wars would decline. 

But alas, once politics becomes an important part of the justification then all bets are off.  This is equally true of science.  I enjoy reading biographies of people who have broken through the barrier of convention.  But once they become political, once they defend their breakthroughs at all cost, then everything deteriorates including their credibility.  

But I guess this should be expected as we humans are pretty touchy when our egos are challenged. 

Incidentally, you are the only person who has gone to the trouble of posting your comments after reading "Why is religion necessary," when I am used to receiving many such comments while choosing to answer only one or two.  Go figure!

Jim 





No comments:

Post a Comment