Popular Posts

Tuesday, August 27, 2019

The Peripatetic Philosopher updates - EIGHT WEEKS AFTER SURGERY:


8 weeks after open heart surgery

“Every day is a triumph.”

For those who have not had, nor anticipate having open heart surgery, as well as for those who have had and survived it, this is one man’s report of his progress after 8 weeks of this surgery.

There is no way of anticipating the violation of your physical and physiological systems over which you have no control once this surgery has been experienced.  All systems abandon you as you return to the status of a newborn child, with the fragility and dependence.

You must learn to walk again and use your limbs with authority.  Rehab becomes a part of the ritual of your life, and continues until you arrive at your previous norm for those bodily functions.

I was told by my cardiologist that rehab from the surgery would take 6 to 8 weeks.  I have completed those 8 weeks and I now continue:

1)      To walk with my walker outside 10 minutes a day and then only with some effort;

2)      To walk twice daily 8 or 9 minutes, and again with some effort, with no walker;

3)      To do physical and occupational therapy now without a therapist present but with BB being my coach and navigator as my arms and legs are weak and my breathing is still not normal;

4)      To do breathing exercises, which are new to me as I find I breathe through my mouth when I should be breathing through my nose which is necessary to expand my lungs, and return them to their previous health;

5)      To squeeze rubber balls and do finger exercises to deal with the weakness of my grip and the ulna nerve damage to my three fingers on my left hand, which are mainly useless since the surgery;

6)      To deal with the lack of appetite, which after 56 days has not left me, while knowing I need to eat properly to regain my stamina and strength.

Others can see how I have progressed, which is hard for me to see, as it is so slow and I am conscious of how much I cannot do.

BB sees that every day is a triumph and she takes solace in what I can do and am willing to do and I know that I would not be as far along as I am without her coaching and motivation.

Now, this is a report of my experience, the progress of a self-confessed slow healer and is not meant to impugn the experience or progress of others with a similar condition.

The body, once violated by this surgery, fights to restore the body’s health with resolution and determination.  Perhaps it does so for a man in his 80’s a little more slowly.  BB keeps reminding me of the virtue of patience.

Be always well,

Jim

P.S. Dictated to my BB who has been there every day with cheerful positive spport.


No comments:

Post a Comment