Popular Posts

Monday, November 09, 2020

A READER WRITES: WHAT DO YOU THINK OF PRESIDENT TRUMP NOW?

 

A READER WRITES:

WHAT DO YOU THINK OF PRESIDENT TRUMP NOW?

 

James R. Fisher, Jr., Ph.D.

© November 9, 2020


"Whoso would be a man must be a nonconformist. He who would gather immortal palms must not be hindered by the name of goodness, but must explore if it be goodness. Nothing is at last sacred but the integrity of your own mind. Absolve you to yourself, and you shall have the suffrage of the world."

Ralph Waldo Emerson, Self-Reliance



I RESPOND

I find your question rather incredible, even troubling.

Do you think because President Trump apparently lost the election that I think of him differently?

I voted for him and I would vote for him again because he is not a wind up doll, not a paper tiger, not a puppet on a string, but a man who has views, many of which I support, and is not into being politically correct, or a fan of the intelligentsia, much less of Hollywood or the media. He has been a man alone. I know something about that disposition.

Trump was obviously hurt by the pandemic and no doubt his often insane tweets were a detriment as well, but that is part of his fallible character as a man.

And yes, I think he has a right to challenge the election even though I don't think it will change anything.

Government is messy, and always has been. It brings out the best and often the worst in politicians. I admire President Trump because he is a fighter, does what pleases him not necessarily what pleases others; thinks his own thoughts and believes he can make a difference. In other words, he is not somebody else's rag doll.

Hate him if you like, as at least half the nation has done for four years. It has made governance difficult for him but he has persevered. I admire that in a man.

Biden is going to ride a robust economy into his first thousand days with the pandemic finally disappearing. His presidency is one of those lucky things that sometimes happens to someone who persists long enough. Let us hope it is of some benefit to us all as after 48 years in government, Biden didn't as much as disturb the dust.

Like Trump, Klaus, I don't have my point-of-view or my approach to life because others find it soothing, gratifying or reinforcing of their point-of-view. I have it because this is what I think, how I feel and what I believe.

I've never been interested in escaping but embracing freedom, something I believe I have in common with President Trump.

After you read this, knowing me as you know me, can you imagine how your question hit me?

Jim











No comments:

Post a Comment