Popular Posts

Friday, November 11, 2022

GOING HOME

 

 James R. Fisher, Jr., Ph.D.

© November 11, 2022

Life is a dream walking death is a going home.

Chinese Proverb

At my advanced age with daily life becoming something of a problem I wish to thank people who have been important in my writing, especially my wife, Beautiful Betty. American novelist Thomas Wolf wrote a moving novel in 1934, “You Can’t Home Again.” He was quoting a proverb that declared that past times although fondly remembered are simply of the past and cannot be relived. Yet we know they are to the very end of our lives.

Because of health issues, writing a few lines much less completing my work has been a challenge.

I apologize for not corresponding with you for some time given all your support.

This is equally true of Sir William Livingston, IV, Charles D. Hayes, Carole Gilbert, Ken Shelton, Manfred Fiedler, and Eric Rodts, whom I genuinely admire. They like you have shared their expertise and views with me for many years. Thank you.

Each of them has worked hard and unselfishly to communicate ideas consistent with an adult perspective.

Psychotherapist Eric Berne in “The Games People Play” (1964)  suggests that celebrities need the affirmation of many while scientists and philosophers need that of a few.

Someone reading my blog (peripateticphilosopher.blogspot.com) anonymously suggested essays on my blog “deserved a wider audience.” I just smiled. Alas, the teacher will arrive when the student is ready, but not before.

That said literary agents recognize that traditional publishing is vanishing and are contacting Amazon and Kindle authors, among others promising all kinds of benefits before they, too, become redundant.

This amuses me as it is consistent with the games people play failing to realize many of these authors mentioned here are the wave of the future, and we found out already.

Some 60 years ago, I read Jacques Barzun’s “The House of Intellect” (1959) and knew I wanted to be a writer but had to wait. Then some 22 years ago, I read Barzun’s magnum opus, “From Dawn to Decadence” (2000) wondering how he could find the energy to complete this work at age 93 when I can barely find the energy to type these words before getting tired.

I’m not trying to compose a magnum opus to update In the Shadow of the Courthouse (3rd edition) and a complete profile of my works including “Confessions of an Existential Author.” My motivation is to possibly interest a university to include these works in its archives.

Clinton County Historical Society already has all of my published books but not my correspondence, published essays in periodicals, trade journals, and my blog to conclude this project. I once overheard my mother saying to my da when I was a boy, “Ray, We are all half finished when we die.” I am suffering from the same malady as he. It is why I am thankful, George and the others mentioned have been in my life.

Be always well,

Jim









No comments:

Post a Comment