Popular Posts

Thursday, November 07, 2019

The Peripatetic Philosopher explains himself as a writer


 THE QUINTESSENTIAL AMATEUR AS A WRITER



James R. Fisher, Jr., Ph.D.
© November 7, 2019 


Reference

Ken Shelton claimed he had written nearly 250 books to which I added, “But was it love of the word? That is the essence of my piece, and I think of Akira's as well. Remember, he was a Zen master.”


Ken Shelton Writes

Yes, I suppose it was love of the word, at least initially. At times I have a love-hate relationship with words, with the business of words. Publishing can kill the romance. Professional writing is not a telling casual tale or putting on a show--it's all about sales and scale (cash flow).

Ken Shelton, editor, agent, CEO
Executive Excellence, LLC


My Response

Yes, you are right to reprimand me; to put me in my place.

My personality is one in which I allow myself to be finessed once, but hopefully, not twice.

I wrote CONFIDENT SELLING in six weeks in 1969 after I returned from South Africa. I showed it to an executive aid of a Florida state senator, who took it home and read it.

When he returned to his office, he asked me if he might send it to a publisher. I said, "Okay."

Two weeks later, returning from a trip to Rochester, New York, where I had given a speech to a company convention, he met me at the Tampa airport -- which was quite small in 1969.

"Prentice-Hall wants to publish your book as it is."

I had no idea what that meant, but learned later they didn't want to bother with editing, rewriting and the things that costs with which you are familiar.

A contract came in the mail which I signed and returned not realizing I had given P-H my copyright, and was only to receive 5 percent of royalties absorbing all kinds of costs, which I learned later, were not normally associated with the author.

CONFIDENT SELLING sold well, was on trade publication lists and went through some 30 or more printings in the first year.  I did not know what that meant. P-H continued to publish CS for 20 years, and then relinquished the copyright to me.

Two things followed that completely cooled me to your industry:

(1) The local 10 o'clock nightly news TV newscaster wanted to form a consortium and promote the book with TV programs, seminars and cassette recordings. P-H’s conditions were so unfriendly that the idea was dropped;

(2) I accidentally came across a national periodical that was serializing CS, something P-H never told me. I wrote P-H a letter and they sent me a check for $300 without explanation.

Thereafter, I've never given up my copyright and commenced to publish my own books under my company, The Delta Group Florida.

Between 1970 and 1990, I continued to write wherever I found myself working. Out of this came "Work Without Managers: A view from the Trenches" (1991).

I wasn't prepared for its reception. Overnight, it was on National Public Radio (NPR), named one of the ten best business books of the year by Industry Week, reviewed by The Wall Street Journal, while Ingram Distribution asked to be sent 500 copies of the book. That proved a disaster as they sold only 100 and returned the rest in terrible shape.

A few years later, the CEO of St. Lucie Press claimed he loved the book, and wanted me to rewrite it with the emphasis on the SIX SILENT KILLERS (1998), which I did. He promised an advertising budget, which I now realized in my lame understanding of publishing, is critical. Unfortunately, he suffered a heart attack and died.

The new publisher's didn't want to publish but I had a contract that they were forced to honor, but did so reluctantly “as your book is not consistent with our listings.”

SSKs, however, generated a similar buzz to that of WWMs, but alas, without the attention of the publisher.

Then TATE Publishing came along, agreeing to publish without my investing in the publishing. It also promised an advertising budget. TATE went forward with this and then disappeared in scandal with nine of my books that it had published now available without a publisher.

So, what I am saying is that I recognize your publishing situation, which is not mine. I’ve never had to make a living as a writer. BB says, “You’re very much a writer, Jim, but you’ve always been an amateur.” And like so many other things that she says, I know she is right.








No comments:

Post a Comment