Popular Posts

Friday, February 05, 2010

AN EXCHANGE -- HOW DO YOU SELL FURNITURE TO THE "WALK IN"?

AN EXCHANGE – HOW DO YOU SELL FURNITURE TO THE “WALK IN”?

James R. Fisher, Jr., Ph.D.
© February 5, 2010

REFERENCE:

I wrote this piece to help a young man a novice in the field of selling. Some wondered why I was leaving my “high perch” to bother myself with something so mundane as selling.

It pleased me to hear from a colleague who first took a degree in engineering and then like myself ventured in the opposite direction to take a Ph.D. in organizational-industrial psychology, and like me, came from humble circumstances but has managed to have considerable impact on society, and again like me, in his advance years has not slowed down in continuing to make a significant contribution.

There is no retirement in him as there is none in me. I share this exchange as I thanked him for his support. What follows is my expression of gratitude and his response.

* * *

I WRITE TO A COLLEAGUE:

Thank you for sharing. Some have wondered in response to this missive,
what I was up to. It was only an answer to a request for help.

I published it more widely than only to this young man because young people today find the old intimidating ways are not appropriate -- remember the best selling book of the 1970s "Winning through Intimidation"? Well, it doesn't fit the modus operandi of most young people today and is anathema to career and success building.

Forced as young people are into a much more competitive world, they have found cooperation and partnership more relevant. In many ways, young people are less confrontational and more inclined to consensus building than our generation.

Looking back, I don't think we -- those of us from poorer circumstances -- could have been born at a more opportunistic time.

"How to sell furniture" is a metaphor for twenty-first century enterprise. Whatever you are selling -- and everyone is involved in selling something -- the advice given here applies to them!

Be always well,

Jim

* * *

MY COLLEAGUE RESPONDS:

I fully understand and completely agree Jim. My discipline (Human Engineering) of over 50 years required me to sell, sell, sell.

Sometimes I had to resort to Reverse Psychology to accomplish what no amount of logic or research & development FACTS could accomplish.

My favorite example was when I was very young and working on the design
of the Shuttle's Flight Station. I was working with two famous astronauts who had international reputations and five other Astronauts.

They came for a Design Review and were presented with a full description of the Flight Station instrumentation and all the 'rationale' including System's Analysis, Task Analysis, etc. They then proceeded to the Mock Up where we had a comprehensive walk-through.

We captured all their comments (many very negative) and after they went "out on the town" we worked all night on a 'second' Mock Up to incorporate all their changes. The following day they returned, reviewed the 'second' Mock Up and hated it immensely, which was the product of their comments.
.
They returned to the 'first' Mock Up and bought it off 100%! I still continue to "sell" Design Practice to Grad students and as a Consultant to NASA, the Military and Industry.

* * *

THE METAPHOR OF CONTRIBUTION

One of the implied themes reading between the lines here is that life is not meant to look towards to retirement but to live every day fully and contribute as best you can as long as you can.

In my long career, which incidentally continues as a writer, I have never worked for money or based what I would do on what paid the best, but what gave me the most satisfaction, and by extension, had the best interests of those I would serve at heart.

One thing I learned in science as in psychology is that life is a process, not a product, a longitudinal endeavor not a peak experience. My colleague knows of what I speak. I hope the reader does as well.

JRF

No comments:

Post a Comment