Popular Posts

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

RESPONSE TO ARTICLE -- TIGER WOODS, THE RAGE OF SOCIETY, AND THE MONSTER IN US!

RESPONSE TO ARTICLE – TIGER WOODS, THE RAGE OF SOCIETY, AND THE MONSTER IN US!

James R. Fisher, Jr., Ph.D.
© February 24, 2010

* * *

A READER WRITES:

Good article Jim.

I'm glad someone finally pointed this out. Our rage, collectively, at Tiger Woods is really anger at ourselves. As you say, he never was the deity we imagined he was. Clay feet is a great way to put it. Poor guy! He was forced all these years to try to live up to the superman image created by and for him. This applies to many situations I believe, not just celebrities.

For example, we elevate certain professions far beyond the reality of their actual worth and skill. Last evening after a game of tennis three couples, including my wife and I, were enjoying a beer.

One couple mentioned their son, a 13 year old strapping athletic boy, also a tennis player, had broken his back during a tournament a few months previous. This got everyone's attention. Evidently, an extreme move he attempted on the tennis court damaged some vertebrae.

Now he was facing surgery, this very week in fact. The surgery would be performed by an orthopedic surgeon. We all know how risky back surgery can be, so the group enquired as to whether they'd sought more than one opinion concerning the necessity of the operation. They'd had three it turned out, two in favour and one surgeon who advised first waiting to see if the injury, which was not now bothering the young man, recurred in the future. The dissenting doctor had said the risk presented by simply waiting was not great.

Now, coincidentally, my wife and I had just played a match against a gentleman who was a practicing orthopedic surgeon. After the match the fellow mentioned that had we tried to play this match one night earlier, he would not have been able to play at all because he had been so ill.

He had, he explained, a serious infection affecting his nasal and respiratory system. It had been ongoing for 10 days, keeping him on his back for the most part. To underline this point he recounted that during surgery the previous day he had been stricken so severely by this illness he was forced to call for a gurney himself to lie down for 20 minutes.

Thus, the surgery, well underway, was put on hold, the patient kept waiting, fully anaesthetized I presume, pending the doctor's own treatment and recovery; fluids and rest. With a smile I asked him, "Did you manage to operate on the correct limb?" And just as casually he laughed and said he had. This is not the usual image we have of our surgeon, entrusted with our well-being in potentially life-altering circumstances.

Although my wife, who knew the story too, tried to muzzle me, I felt compelled to tell this little tale to our friends having the ailing 13 year old. They were incredulous, which surprised me a bit, because I do not put doctors in a higher class than other skilled artisans.

They are fallible despite their esteemed status. There are poor surgeons, and great ones and a whole lot in between, I am quite sure. I hope our friends believed the story. I would estimate there's a 50/50 chance.

Anyway, I thought you'd enjoy this little story Jim. It seems in line with what you're saying. We set ourselves up for big disappointments with our delusions of supermen and superwomen. People, it seems, hate reality. Is it just too boring for us maybe?

Thank you once again for sharing your insights.

Your friend,

George

* * *

DR. FISHER RESPONDS:

George,

BB was a little upset when I wrote this piece, taking my attention away from my novel, GREEN ISLAND IN A BLACK SEA. I hate to disappoint her ever, but I’ve been writing like a demon and needed a break. I’m glad I took it because of this response. Thank you.

Be always well,

Jim

* * *

No comments:

Post a Comment