Popular Posts

Monday, February 01, 2010

JUST WHEN YOU THINK THE WORLD IS CRUMMY YOU FIND IT IS MORE BEAUTIFUL THAN EVER!

JUST WHEN YOU THINK THE WORLD IS CRUMMY YOU FIND IT IS MORE BEAUTIFUL THAN EVER

James R. Fisher, Jr., Ph.D.
© February 1, 2010

I’m writing this novel on South Africa about when I was there in 1968 forming a new company for my employer, Nalco Chemical Company, combining a British Affiliate with a South African specialty chemical division of the largest chemical company in Africa with Nalco’s subsidiary.

In the course of combining these three companies, I discovered there was an uneven distribution of chemical know how in the field, and so I wrote a book, A PROGRAMME IN SALES TRAINING AND TECHNICAL DEVELOPMENT for the field chemical sales engineers.

I should add that the chemical company being formed was virtually eliminating competition in this very progressive industrialized country. The book proved an ancillary and useful component in the successful transition from three competitors into a cooperative and trusting enterprise.

* * *

In any case, in my novel, I make reference to the content of this operational book, which is now falling apart after some forty-two years. Book binding, which once was quite an art form, and one in which I have used extensively, but not for the past thirty years. Indeed, book repair bookbinding, I discovered, has essentially disappeared to the point of nonexistence.

That is why I am writing this missive. In the Tampa phone directory one book binding company was mentioned. I called this company and learned that they only put together spiral books, but the person I talked to was kind enough to give me the name of another person to call. I was to ask for a Paul at this company and say Susan had made the referral.

I called Paul and he informed me that they did bind books but on assignment for companies binding in volumes, such as company publications, but that they didn’t do any repair work. “Wait a second,” Paul said, “let me see. I think there is someone in the area that still does that kind of work. He’s an old guy.” He returns with a number, which I call.

The man who answers says, “No, I don’t bind or repair books, but you’re the second call I’ve had in the last few days.”

I laughed. “That’s got to be irritating,” thinking of myself.

“No, not really,” he replies, “I don’t consider it a nuisance factor at all. It is kind of nice just talking to people with such a rare problem.” Then he adds, “I do think the correct number is similar to mine if not the same.”

That information proved useful. I took a chance and put in a call to the same number in Pinellas County adding the area code required, and the man that answered says, “Sure, I repair and restore books. What are you talking about?”

I tell him. He asks my name. I give it. “You’re the second doctor that has called me today. He has some books he wants to restore for his family.” I tell him I am writing a book and that may be true of me as well.

“Well, I’d like to see the book or books before I give you a price. Where do you live?” I tell him in Tampa. “Tampa it is, I see, well I live in Palm Harbor in Pinellas County, a bit out of your way, but I hope not too far.”

I ask for his name and address. He gives it. “I can check with Map Quest.

“So when will you be coming by? I’ll need you to make an appointment. I want to be sure I’m here.”

“It will be soon,” I tell him, “and I’ll call in advance so it will not be an inconvenience.”

“Looking forward to your visit. I love restoring all books to beauty.” I’m sure he does.

* * *

The reason I’m writing this little missive is because you don’t expect (1) people to answer their own phone in business; (2) once you talk to a human being you don’t expect them to go out of their way to accommodate you and supply you with enough information to continue your search; (3) you don’t expect someone who is a “wrong number” to be so philosophical and empathetic; and (4) you don’t expect to ultimately be successful. Stay tuned.

* * *

There is always “a rest of the story” to my commentaries. A number of years ago, I had many of my academic papers in graduate school bound into books. I also had my M.A thesis and Ph.D. dissertation bound into book form as well. By the accident of my packing, and sending a number of books to Florida Prisons for prison libraries, I inadvertently sent these bound volumes as well. Unfortunately, I didn’t discover my error until years later or far too late to recovery this material. Like cyberspace, as they say, nothing is ever lost. I suspect one day perhaps long after I am gone someone will surface with these materials. I say this because that bookbinder a long time ago in 1978 did a wonderful job. I can’t imagine someone would destroy such caring craftsmanship.

* * *

No comments:

Post a Comment