Popular Posts

Sunday, November 01, 2015

The Peripatetic Philosopher shares a conversation:



 Thinking about Self-Confidence

James R. Fisher, Jr., Ph.D.
© November 1, 2015




NOTE:


These pages have had excerpts of my new book, SELF-CONFIDENCE: The Elusive Key to Health & Happiness.

It will soon appear in the Kindle Library of www.amazon.com.  This is an exchange with one the readers of these excerpts.  My responses are in bold and red.

It is understandable when we encounter ideas or concepts inconsistent with the way we see things to challenge their validity.  This is healthy and to be applauded.  Few of us, however, are aware of how ingrained our programming is, or how resolutely we defend it, seldom questioning its relevance to our lives and experiences. 

I have made it my career to challenge such assertions in our dominant corporate existence.  Self-Confidence is but one of them.
JRF


Writer Writes (WW) I've been thinking about the idea of self-confidence, as it pertains to your book.

My conclusion is, the 'cognitive' audience you want to reach is a large group of rationalists who feel conflicted - who are not necessarily confirmed rationalists. They are 'doubters', looking for answers, open to new ideas. The confirmed rationalist is unreachable. In that sense, it is 'hope' you're offering to the doubting group, to those who feel there is something missing.  

Peripatetic Philosopher (PP) I am not asking or even suggesting that rationalists with cognitive biases give them up, as that is a moot point when it comes to biases.  I am simply asking them to invite the other side of their minds to the party as complement to the cognitive, which is the intuitive.

(WW) In that sense, you defeat yourself at the outset by presenting your hopeful message in strictly rational language.  

(PP) Either you are misreading me from your perspective, or I am not clear as to my intentions.  I am not in a combat zone between rationalists and non-rationalists, which quite frankly is impossible to be.  

(WW) Let us move on to the Fisher Paradigm©™.   This represents to me a latent power we all possess, principally by opening our minds to the possibility of its presence, then why confuse matters by dismantling it and presenting it in parts.  

(PP) Yes, it is a latent power we all possess.  And I am not dismantling either this latent power with the Fisher Paradigm©™ or presenting it in parts.

What I am doing is presenting its three spheres as profiles of an integrated reality possessed by everyone, while using this device as a straw man to show what all of us do quite naturally, but mainly unconsciously, therefore, without exercising it as a conscious tool.  

The Fisher Paradigm©™ is integral, not separate and therefore not divisive.  It is not about power.  It is not about influence.  It is not about winning friends and influencing people.  It is about awareness of the working of our prehensile mind.

It is therefore a manifestation of the reptilian brain that has been our protective shield since the time of the Cro-Magnon man. As I have attempted to illustrate, although briefly in this book, it is the protection that we all have and all experience when we are uncomfortable around certain people or in the climate of pressing danger.  

I have always asked the question, "why?"  When you ask such a question, you notice things that you first took for granted without thinking, that is, the individual's personality and why he is acting that particular way.  Then there is the setting or the environment of his circumstances.  Listen with your whole body as it is telegraphing vital information to your brain as mundane as your comfort level, or as critical as your survival.

The person, himself, his total presence tells you who he is versus who he purports to be.  That is, by his use of words, syntax, his posture, even the quality of his skin, hands, fingernails, ye s, take all of these things in, and then you have a fix on him, not to exploit but to understand him in the context of how he consciously sees and intends to project himself.  From this, you determine his level of authenticity. 

Alas, the context and character of our face, alone, even with plastic surgery, fails to hide our essential self as it is a roadmap of our life to that moment.

Given this insight I have often moved boldly forward as if I could see into this person’s heart as some of the stories in this book indicate.  I know someone who was conned out of a great deal of money because he didn't make this assessment, and yet he is -- in his own words -- an extreme rationalist.  Extremes of any kind are also extremely vulnerable to deception.

(WW) The Fisher Paradigm©™ is a simple thing, isn't it? So why do you have to complicate it? 

(PP) With all due respect, it is you who complicates it by apparently reading conflict and complexity into this paradigm. 
  
(WW) I think your approach ought to be to challenge people to discover this, to test this on their own. 
  
(PP) Yes, the person needs to discover this for himself.  This is the definition of learning.  By reading the stories and commentaries, it is the reader who will see if they have any validity to him.  

(WW) But why give it a structure and ask people to understand its inner workings. It's unexplainable isn't it?  

(PP) No, quite the contrary, it is very understandable if people think of their own lives, think of puzzling or contradictory moments, and how they happen to survive those moments.  

Often, we think it is luck when it is the unconscious -- the reptilian brain -- surfacing as if an angel on our shoulder telling us this is not right, this is not good, this is not what it seems, this is not for me.

(WW) It strikes me that your book, above all, is a testimonial. 

(PP) I can see where you would get that idea.  All my writing comes out of my empirical experience and I write about that experience with the hypothesis that what I have experienced equally is in your experience as well, but not necessarily at the conscious level.  I have trained myself to be conscious of invasions into it.

To wit, we are programmed to ignore what is not obvious.  When we are upset, to take a happiness pill.  The pharmaceutical and behavioral science industries depend on that for their survival.  These industries monitor, manage and manipulate our feelings as if we have no active role in the process. 

We have been conned into believing we are inscrutable to ourselves and only experts can ferret through the recesses of our minds to find the key to our health and happiness. 

Over the course of the last century, experimental psychologists came to treat individuals like laboratory rats tracking people’s behavior amassing behavioral data for businesses to exploit and for economists to justify their analytics.  Consequently, the fault line between psychology and economics has dissolved.   

People have been complicit in this charade by enthusiastically diffusing what makes them happy on smart watches, fit-bits, Facebook and Twitter.  We are no longer in control, but we can be.

(WW) So you insist. True, trusting and following your intuition has worked for you.  There are numerous illustrations and examples on how it has worked for you in this book. That is you.  That is not me.  

(PP) By the nature of the formulation of this response, it implies that it will not or cannot or does not apply equally to you. I think it does.

(WW) You're telling your personal stories, but are your experiences likely to resonate with present day conflicted rationalists; 'doubters'?  

(PP) Obviously, that is something that I do not know as I am not the most successful person at developing connections with readers today.  Apparently, I am not telling them what they want to hear, that they are behaving like animals in the control of the puppet master, the psychologist, the economist, the advertiser and politician.

Does that mean I should desist, or that I should water down my approach?  I don't think so.  The teacher arrives when the student is ready, and sometimes that doesn't happen in the span of one's lifetime.  I don't have any problem with that.

(WW) Possibly, you don’t, but really, you're still shooting in the dark.  

(PP) I prefer to see myself shooting in the light. 

(WW) You hope they will with this self-confidence assessment, but you aren't sure.  

(PP) I'm not sure but hope is the wrong word.  I wonder if people will have the courage to penetrate their cognitive biases and marry the two sides of their minds to a common insight. 

We talk so much about democracy when it is all but gone.  Nowhere is it less apparent than in individual democracy with the self.  In our corporate capitalistic society there is no room for democracy, only for enforced harmony. 

Science has been an unwitting accomplice in this process.  The tools of scientific and economic analyses have penetrated deeply into our collective psyches and emotional lives, leaving us as bystanders.  Instead of finding happiness and in control of our lives, what has been instituted is the pathology of normalcy with its accompanying depression, anxiety, bitterness and isolation.

(WW) This is your message.  My thought is you have to speak to your audience... meet them where they are now, not where you are, or were. To make a connection, you have to know them.  

(PP) Conventional wisdom would agree with you.  I should get on my soapbox and play the role of the guru, which I am not.  I am an ordinary man who has had an ordinary life making it his business to understand what I have just explained.

My problem is that I know my audience only too well, and I won't reduce my approach to that audience as a gimmick or some bit of sensationalism to get its attention.  

This audience will connect with me when it is ready and not before.  I just want my books and my ideas to be out there when readiness is apparent.  By the accident of my birth, in this era of the Internet, that is possible.  My only responsibility is to see that my books get written.

(WW) As you explained it to me, your  'Fisher Paradigm©™' is fundamentally a hidden source of human "power".  Yes?  Without question, the attraction of this power to individuals is just that; "power". 

(PP) Now, that is where I differ with you.  I am not enamored of the words "power" or "influence" or "empowerment," as these words have become essentially meaningless.  I prefer a word you used earlier, "discovery," and that is a singular individualistic undertaking. 

(WW) Not to change the subject, but I'm sure you know who Robert Greene is, 

(PP) I have no idea who he is.  I looked him up on the Internet, and I don't doubt that his books are well read.  

(WW) They are, indeed, well read.  They also show how cynical and manipulative his world is. 

(PP) I know some see me as a pessimist, and yes, some see me as cynical, but I'm quite sure anyone who has read me does not see me as manipulative.  I abhor manipulators, as you know doubt have noticed in this book I call them "chameleons."

(WW) Back to Greene.  His '48 Laws of Power' strikes me as a book with the exact opposite message of your Fisher Paradigm©™. 

(PP) I suspect from what you have said about his books that this is possibly true.

(WW) Greene's message is 'power' through the careful manipulation of circumstances and people. Your message is about "power" too, but it is a hopeful, altruistic vision. 

(PP) Again, it is not about power, but it is about getting in touch with both sides of your mind, which will trigger, given the Fisher Paradigm©™, intuitive insight.  

(WW) That's how you can position yourself, your book. Those who want 'power', but reject Greene's cynical world will find your message both palatable and liberating.  

(PP) Once again, I am not advocating my approach at the expense of another author.  Nor am I interested in piggybacking -- even negatively -- on the premise of another’s assessment of the opportunity and the nature of the times.  I am cultivating a very small patch from my own experience and insight, which is presented as an alternative to readers.

(WW) I must confess at this point calling the essence of this work the Fisher Paradigm©™ is also a problem for me. 

(PP) That is quite apparent and quite honest as well as all right.   

(WW) Quite frankly, it makes it a closed space by suggesting that you own it,

(PP) That may be a perception but not the intent.  It is a unique approach and in that sense "I own it" as I have owned many other possible spaces -- I prefer ideas -- as they have come out of my head and no one else's.  

(WW) You’re saying that because you have discovered it. Well, for me, it is so close to mysticism, 

(PP) Yes, I am saying that because I discovered the Fisher Paradigm©™, quite by accident, as I allude to that fact in my writing. 

Simple as it is, and widely applicable as it has proven to be, it is certainly not mystical.

That said my definition of mysticism is that which we do not understand in the context of our own minds and thinking.

Spirituality is quite another thing. Spirituality is the recognition that there is a world beyond the material world that drives us, leads us, controls us, and sustains us that we know exists but don't know quite what to make of it.  

Consequently, we let religion decide what it means and why the spiritual is important.  I have read too deeply into the origins of the early Christian Church to realize early Christians were as mystified (your word) as we are as to our spiritual nature or its hold on us vis-a-vis the material world.  

(WW) Spirituality, and that whole idea, including the Holy Ghost and superstition, the way I understand these things, is that they are certainly not new. So, if they are not new, and if they have been known for thousands of years, what’s the point?

(PP) Certainly, not being new is not the point. Not being new is not even relevant.  

We are reaching the point of realizing that the "Holy Ghost" and all the other artifacts of Christianity are inventions, inventions that were deemed necessary over the centuries.  

Now, we have reached the point where it is possible to get inside spirituality, and use it for our own purposes, and not be amazed or frightened by it.  

(WW) Then what is really novel about your approach?  

(PP) Nothing!  That is the point.  I am simply pointing out the obvious.  

(WW) As I said, I feel you are offering a personal testimonial of its existence, 

(PP) I find that sad that that is all you have gotten out of this.  I respect that your comment is genuine, as is your struggle to understand my intentions.  

(WW) More than anything else in the case relating it to self-confidence, I see you just taking the long way around. You want to help people re-activate a latent human power,  

(PP) No, no. no!  I want them to get in touch with themselves in the most intimate way and then they will be able to "read" and "understand" others in ways they never knew they could before.  They will better understand themselves, not for leverage, but for peace and tranquility, for health and happiness.

They will not be intimidated by condescension, or by bullies or know-it-alls, but will see that the nakedness of others is showing.  Therefore, they will be able to deal with others more effectively and positively.

(WW) Are you not substituting something with as much baggage as 'confidence' or 'self-confidence'? 

(PP) Wow! Confidence and self-confidence is baggage!  

(WW) Let's face it. 'Self-confidence' is psychological talk. 

(PP) Yes, and I am a trained psychologist of the industrial kind.

(WW) But psychology is anti-spiritual and inner-directed.  

(PP) It can be but it doesn't have to be.  This is not so in any of my books, articles, seminars, speeches or missives on the web.  

As long as we are mystified by the spiritual, we will treat it as mystical, or so remote from our comprehension that it will be beyond our purview and therefore of use or value to us.

We are not one dimensional beings however stubbornly we insist to act as such. 

(WW) Your concept of a suppressed almost spiritual 'human potential' is anything but.  

(PP) “Human potential" is another concept that has no meaning to me, mainly, because it makes the spiritual a mechanism when it is simply an integral part of who and what we are.  We don't have to do "work" to be spiritual.  We only have to remind the head it also has a heart.  

(WW) What people really will like, what you are offering, is something direct and simple. 

(PP) Yes, it is pretty hard to get simpler than the Fisher Paradigm©™, however much we persist in making the simple, complex.  

(WW) You are saying 'open your mind to the possibilities' of something totally opposite to 'rational' thinking. Great! Now, if people do so, and they like what it does for them, you have to realize, they no longer fit into our obsessively rational industrial society; a corporatized world, 

(PP) Of course, they won't.  The shift will not be radical, but tectonic.  Jeremy Bentham’s was advocating “pain and pleasure” 250 years ago, then a hundred years ago along came Freud with his “pleasure principle.” 

We have all but abandoned the philosophical notions of “rights, obligations and duties,” which in turn has found us abandoning democracy and self-responsibility.       

So, it will be difficult for people to go against their own cognitive dissonance to entertain the possibility that they are living in a dying system.  Therefore, they go along to get along, until they no longer can.  

(WW) Our corporate world, that you often disparage, is a world where everything is concrete and quantifiable. So you must include in the book some practical suggestions for people to tap into their intuitive powers, 

(PP) I think I do, as the book is replete with such suggestions.  Then, too, there is the self-test that should prove interesting to readers in that regard.  

(WW)  Don’t you see that people are forced to manage a shallow, excessively rational world that constantly strives to limit them?  Can’t you see that your ideas may open them to experience personal crises?

(PP) Counterintuitively, I say "good" if that causes them to rethink where they are, who they are and where they are going.  

(WW) How would you have them do that?  

(PP) If they have the courage, and I think many do, they will find the way, and it will be their way, not my way.  

(WW) That is what your book can do for people as I see it. But I prefer parables to personal, drawn out stories myself. 

(PP) Then write a book of parables!  I tell stories that is my approach.  If they do not resonate, I am sorry. That is my style.  

Now, I don't suggest this facetiously, that is, for you to write a book.  Doing what you are doing here is what a writer does when he writes a book.  He gets inside words and ideas, and yes, inside himself, to see what surfaces, and why.  If it resonates with others, fine.  If it doesn't, it has not been wasted effort for he now understands better this peculiar person that he happens to be.  No writer no matter how learned and sophisticated gets beyond the pale of his personal template. 

(WW) If that is true, that is the big challenge I would say; to activate imaginations, succinctly. If it isn't practical and almost immediately actionable, people will tune out quickly. It has to apply to them. 

(PP) Only they can determine that.  I cannot.  

Whew, I'm tired now. Thinking is hard work. 

(PP) This has been good for you.  I cannot take you to where you cannot go.  You know that.  I know that.  And that is all right.  I am at the stage of my life when the distillate of a life of reflection, contemplation, and discovery are either at their greatest or lowest as others may choose to see.  Never be afraid of your mind. It is the Holy Grail.  Thank you for your serious reflection.  

 




No comments:

Post a Comment