Popular Posts

Monday, November 09, 2015

The Peripatetic Philosopher shares a personal note:

The Wonderful World of the Internet!

James R. Fisher, Jr., Ph.D.
© November 9, 2015


Many who follow my scribbling are getting older.  

By the remarkable medium that is the Internet, I have come to know, love and respect people of a mind with clarity tinged with cutting edged humor, people who are compassionate and passionate about something other than "things," people of a common moment with my own mind, people I have never met but know so well. 

"H" is such a mind and such a man.  He is around my age, and with a mind that is forever young, 

He has paid his dues, kept his mind alive, and taken the time to share his views with me since finding my work on the Internet a few years ago. 

He is a man of two languages (and has written on this) and professor emeritus of Dawson College, Cambridge, Canada.  

He is also an equally passionate student of Early Christianity, as am I, as well as having an acerbic authority to his thoughts and published works on contemporary life, politics, government and society.  

Those who are not old, those who also read me, may or may not appreciate his Socratic wit.  It is present in this latest communiqué:

Good morning, Jim.

Spent a week in the hospital after my pulse dropped to 30 and BP to 50.  
Was out cold for 45 min. with eyes wide open. Was a bad time for my family. For me, coming to was just "another day at the office.”

What with Christianity, etc., I don’t remember seeing St. Peter or anybody else when at the gates of the afterlife, which kind of tells me not to believe everything you hear.

Best,

H
I replied:

H,

Beautifully said.  

My prayers and good wishes go your way.  

We are brothers, you and I, pioneers in the wilderness that just never seems to clear.  

What we have going for us is a love of life, humanity, the frailty of the human spirit, and our human stubborn capacity to believe what is not and not to believe what is.  

You will know I am thinking of you every moment of this day.  We are part of the same stream.

Jim

Give pause when you're thinking about that new whatever, as whatever is now, and has nothing to do with that new whatever thing, but everything to do with life, love and living.  

Each breath is a priceless gift.  Thank God for it, and whisper a little prayer for H. 

JRF 



No comments:

Post a Comment